Let’s get real – by now you’re in the heat of Valentine’s Day everything. We have the stuffed bears with the hearts, we’ve seen the trailer for Fifty Shades Darker enough times to recite the whole movie, and we’ve been counting down the days until the holiday candy goes on sale. But single, taken, or somewhere in-between you still must do this: have some self love time (get your mind out of the 50-shades gutter). I’m talking about a day to totally pamper yourself. Believe it or not you must love yourself before you can fully give yourself to another person. I sound like Doctor Phil, but in all honesty, it’s the best way to get yourself feeling 100 percent. So, go get yourself your favorite hydrating face mask, some Lush bath bombs and turn that phone on airplane mode. No matter what you have going on in your life if you don’t take a little time to enjoy where you are you will never get the time back. So be a little selfish, indulge in that extra chocolate covered strawberry and give yourself a break!
Here are some of my go-to self-love tips that you can practice every day:
- Give yourself daily affirmations. Write them on your phone, put new positive quotes next to your bed, or write them in red lipstick on your mirror! Anything to give yourself that extra boost you need to start your day on a positive note.
- FORGIVE. That’s right, I said it. No matter what someone has done to you, remember your well-being is more important. Holding on to that negative energy is not good for anyone, so write all your feelings out and rip it up or find it in your heart to just let all of that sadness go.
- Find time to do whatever makes your heart happy. For me, it is taking baths and doing facemasks. For you it might be going on bike rides or sitting in your local coffee shop reading a book. It is so important to put what you love first.
- Splurge a little. I am not talking about buying a brand new car here. You can buy yourself little things on even the smallest budget to practice self-love. Buy yourself some flowers, your favorite dark chocolate, or go get your nails done.
- Look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you are enough. You can do anything when you put your mind to it and confidence is key. Even the most beautiful women have insecurities, so start to love yours! All of those freckles, dimples, and your “flaws” make you unlike anyone else.