On March 21, 2016, six months ago today, we announced the relaunch of Velvet + Vinyl. Kristin painted a beautiful watercolor piece, we shared our news with the world and since then it’s been a wild and exciting ride.
To commemorate the accomplishment, I want to take a look back at some of our best moments. As individuals and as a team, we’ve made tremendous strides in these last six months. We’ve learned a lot, we’ve defined our passions and have pursued them, and we’ve been persistent in the face of our dreams. Every day I’m thankful that Kristin and Melissa saw potential in a dream I had and that they jumped on board with me, hustling to make it happen. These girls have become two of my greatest inspirations and I feel fortunate that I also get the privilege of calling them my friends. I am so proud of each member of our girl gang + cannot wait to see what the next six months have in store!
So, let’s see. Where to start….
– London Fashion Week: Melissa’s been in London this past month pursuing her dreams of working in a fashion magazine. She’s been kicking butt during her internship at Suitcase Magazine, and during her time there she had the opportunity to cover London Fashion Week. By no surprise, she slayed it. Check out her most recent Suitcase article.
– Artist spotlight on Anna Auerbach: Kristin has this inexplicably inspiring gnat for tracking down incredible artists and showcasing their work. She’s the music guru behind our team and we’re so lucky to have her. She’s got an ear for great music + does such an admirable job of bringing these artists to life on V+V.
– Sarah Donofrio collaboration: I partnered with Sarah Donofrio from Season 15 of Project Runway and we bonded over our love of fashion and music, especially vinyl. It was such a lovely experience getting to work with someone who is passionate about the same things I am. It was also pretty cool to see her do her thing last week during the premiere of the show.
– Our first intern: We brought on Baylee this summer and we’re so excited to begin growing our team. She’s been such a seamless addition and we’re so stoked to have her as a part of the girl gang.
– September playlist: Not only does Kristin have a gift for discovering amazing artists, she also has a talent for compiling music into playlists. I’m telling you, that musical ear of hers is GOLD. This one has been a fan favorite, so if you haven’t listened yet, now’s your chance.
– Thrifted + Threaded collab: I worked with Michaela Rodgers to do a spotlight on her clothing line, Thrifted and Threaded. It was such a neat opportunity, and it reminded me why we initially were inspired by shining light on girlbosses, dreamers and doers. Michaela even made us customized V+V shirts! Women build women, people. No doubt about it.
– Joseph: Another milestone for me was getting to meet and work with the band Joseph. These amazing girls were such an inspiration and a true joy to work with.
– Annie Backs collab: Baylee worked with aspiring designer Annie Backs, a young designer who has demonstrated her ability to take something simple and make it beautiful.
A little reminder: the two-piece you see below was made out of a long, black flowy prom-styled dress. To say this girl is goin’ places is an enormous understatement.
– Feel Good Summer Essentials: Melissa is our beauty guru and is so wise when it comes to beauty routines and go-to, can’t-live-without products. She, and Kristin, are queens and have honestly taught me all I know about how to pose and strut in front of the camera.
– Artist Spotlight on Alia: Kristin worked with Alia to put together a really kick-butt interview that merged her passion for music and the purpose of this blog. I love how this piece embodies our mission and what we’ve set out to do. (I may be biased on this one as it’s one of my faves…)
– The Keys To Wearing Black: In addition to her knowledge of beauty/beauty routines, Melissa is a natural when it comes to styling. We did this shoot with Emma Gaty Photography and M’s styling eye was straight 🔥 for this look!
Thanks to my girl gang for sticking with me through this ride and making it the most rewarding journey + thanks to our readers, followers and fans who believe in what we’re doing.